Monday, August 3, 2009

Tonight I moved into my sublet apartment, something that, in my younger years, I thought would be incredibly chic and somewhat edgy. Turns out it's kinda strange. Instead of being like a long-term hotel, I've been asked to supply my own bedding, a request which I am more than happy to oblige, except I didn't pack any. I had intended to open up a new bank account anyhow, but it was shifted to the top of my priority list tonight so that I could cash a check and buy some sheets, but by the time I was through at the bank, the thrift store was closed. I wound up at Big Lots, thinking I just need something cheap to get me through the next month, and then I can get what I really want, which is why I started out at the thrift store in the first place.
I found a set. Full size. Microfiber. Tan. Fine. Perfect! I've resolved to buy sheets that are closest to my skin tone so that I sleep better (it's scientifically proven, but leaves me wondering how interracial couples work it out and feeling like albinos are pretty much set when they travel). Big Lots blankets were a mess. The dye lots were off and the fabrics were nowhere near natural feeling and I didn't think I'd be able to sleep if I bought one, so I trekked to Target for an upgrade.
At this point, I felt like I was getting things you'd get if you were decorating a whole apartment, so I had to start thinking about the color scheme for everything! After all, the blankets I got might wind up on the sofa rather than the bed, and since I had to get a towel, I had to plan my bathroom right then and there, in aisle 4 of the housewares section. There were towels on sale, so I had to face even more pressure when it came to choosing exact shades once I got the basic color scheme down.
I wound up sticking with my Big Lots towel, just the one, although I did find two super cozy blankets and a throw pillow. A throw pillow! For a sublet! But it happens that it matches his decor too, so I lucked out. Either that, or I've absorbed some of his taste from my commitment to live in his space.
Once at home, I went to make the bed and found that while my bed at home is a Full, the one in Shenoa's apartment is a Queen, and thus my sheets are too short and I have to return them, which ultimately is fine because they don't feel right, and a closer inspection revealed them to be polyester.
Tomorrow it's back to the thrift store for me because I am not investing in something that I cannot use in the long term. So, tonight, I sleep on my blanket and wake up looking like a waffle cone. Better that than burnt toast, which brings me to the second phase of tonight's adventure!
When I walked in tonight, it was like an oven in here. Or a Kiva, to be a proper New Mexican about it. I knew it had been cool when I first came to check the place out, but having lived for the last 8 years without air conditioning, I had no clue as to how or where to turn it on. When my eyes fell on the thermostat, I thought surely this must be it. Since I only needed it a little bit cool, I turned the thermostat to 74 and went around the corner to start making the bed. Before I got in the bedroom doorway, I noticed another switch, this one much clearer and more familiar. I turned it to "Low cool" and went about my business. As I was tucking in the final bit of blanket, I felt something extremely hot coming from near the outlet I was near. This place is full of antique junk with character, so I thought it was perhaps an old wire or something, but no, it was far too hot for that, and not as localized. Inspecting further, I discovered that I'd turned on the heater and almost burned the place down my first night here.
At least I'm getting all the bugs worked out at once and when I finally do get my own place, I'll be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment