Sunday, August 23, 2009

Please, just the simple things.

Classes have begun. Summer is gone. So what should one do to bring a little bit of sunshine back? Well, it is just the simple things really. This week for me was a great example of how the simplest of things always can make a dreary law student smile again.

New TV
I am guilty of being a slight television addict. I can always find someting to watch at any time of the day and even with limited channels. But it is the season premieres of the new fall schedule that brings me joy in between textbooks, namely: Mad Men, Top Chef, Project Runway, Southland, House, and The Office. But since I lack cable, my friends from school DVR them for me. Last Thursday night, me and Kat decided to have a ridiculously girlish night that included gin, pizza, and 3 hours of Project Runway. Although watching television is an awfully time-consuming habit, it was fun sipping martinis while agreeing with Tim Gunn's critiques.

Ice Cream on a Warm Summer's Night.
Although my favorite desserts are ones that are best fresh out of the oven, this summer has been so hot and my apartment so lacking in air-conditioning that ice cream is really the only cure. So if I'm craving for something more exotic than the strawberry Haagen-Dazs in my fridge, I'll head over to Scoops for some raspberry balsamic or guinness chocolate ice cream. It makes me almost love the hot weather.

Amoeba Music
Whenever I'm feeling blue, Amoeba always cheers me right up. Lately, I've been in a music funk, so I decided to visit the place and get some new tunes. When I got there, I was happily surprised that Peanut Butter Wolf was performing a DJ set. Just another perk to brighten my day. After walking the aisles for about an hour, I purchased the new Mars Volta, an original issue of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, Julian Plenti's self-titled album, two used Fugazi albums, and the new Horrors album on vinyl. I wanted more, but thought that was enough as a pick-me up. So I scurried home and ripped the plastic off of each CD/record and listened to my new purchases for the next 5 hours. Oh, such a happy day.

1 comment: