Tuesday, August 4, 2009

After my last post yesterday, I realized two things. 1. I did not follow Dinette Set etiquette and posted something that was not really food related; and 2. I meant to! I've been meaning to all week, but got sidetracked when I nearly set my (?) new place on fire.
So. To make amends, this evening I have returned to the Dinette Set blog, and I remembered to bring back the casserole dish you left at my house.
I saw a shirt once that said "a french fry is simply a ketchup delivery device." After consuming half a pound of Whole Foods' Fresh Mango Salsa, I feel the same way about tortilla chips. I had first purchased Archer Farms Organic Blue Corn with Flax Seed tortilla chips to accompany a jar of Tostitos salsa, the hottest Target had to offer. Later that week, however when I visited Whole Foods on an empty stomach looking for some dinner (I'd heard they had vegan tamales!), I stopped at the ready-made section by the front door to get some guacamole. When I saw that it was over $6 for half a pound, I said, "screw that" and put it back. My eyes then drifted to a container filled with tiny pieces the color of early morning sunshine, speckled with red and I thought: Bingo.
I was close. It was mango.
My love affair with mango salsa goes back to eating fish tacos at La Salsa at Bella Terra in Huntington Beach. The mango on it's own was good, but when I mixed it with the habanero salsa they had?!?! Oh my goodness, that alone was worth the $7.
I know that traditionally, mango salsa has accompanied fish, but now tortilla chips will have to do.
Quickly, ingredients: Mangos, Pineapple, Onions, Variety Peppers, Cilantro, Lemon, Lime and Red Bell Peppers. It is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy (although I could go a little hotter), with no added sugars or extra crap to make you feel bad after you eat it.
I'm telling you, it's heaven in a 20% post consumer recycled product container, for under 4 bucks.
Sorry I don't have a picture; I ate it all...

2 comments:

  1. yummy. will the mango salsa make an appearance at your farewell party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you adhered to the rules just fine..."sharing how we like to eat, drink, and WHATEVER MAKES US MERRY"-- welcome, jenn!

    ReplyDelete