Friday, January 21, 2011

Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day

Breakfast, the most important meal of the day. So important that I started preparing my breakfast the night before. After coming home from night class and turning on the Federer v. Simon match, I started feeling the pangs of hunger. As I roamed my fridge full of half eaten cheeses, I noticed I had a bag of arugula that was about to lose its freshness. My economical tendencies switched on a culinary lightbulb: arugula pesto! I grabbed a garlic clove, the bag of arugula, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and olive oil and started prepping. With a few pulses on my food processor, I had delicious pesto for a late night snack (on top of slices of day-old baguette) and as a condiment for my morning eggs.
I knew I wanted pesto with my eggs, but felt I needed to take it up a notch. Mushroom omelet! I took some cremini mushrooms and an onion. I sliced up the mushrooms and diced onion and started sauteing them with some fresh thyme. In another pan, I made some of my infamous potatoes (infamous only because I've made them for pretty much anyone who sleeps over at my apartment after a late night of drinking). The potatoes are made with diced onions, salt, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and lawry's seasoning salt. Since I'm trying (well, not really) to lose some weight, I decided not to top off my potatoes with sour cream-- instead I added some tomatoes and avocado. I scrambled two eggs with a little milk and salt for the omelet. When it was finished, I topped it off with a dollop of my arugula pesto. To place the final touches, I brewed some fresh coffee in my french press: 2 tablespoons of beans, brewed for 4 1/2 minutes in 190 degree water. Here's the final product:





2 comments:

  1. I agree with what American Nomad says.

    PS-Thanks so much for entering the Giveaway! Isn't Edor's stuff neat?

    ReplyDelete