Thursday, September 27, 2012

FOOD SHOP LA: PART DEUX

This menu was so popular before that chef Itay and Hjeyin brought it back.  Since it was my second time, I remembered to take more pictures for the Dinette Set.  I brought Christina with me this time knowing that she'd appreciate the rustic romantic atmosphere and amazing food.

The Menu 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aperitif Vodka, lychee, kaffir lime leaves
Grape Salad Arugula, black grapes, Comte cheese, Marcona Almonds
Kaffir Kabobs ground brisket, kaffir leaves, Thai basil, la lot leaves
Curried Mussels fresh mussels, coconut curry, kaffir leaves, Belgian ale 
Garlic Fries Hand-cut potatoes, fresh herbs, Garlic

Crumble Warm peach crumble, Thai basil ice cream




Kaffir Kabobs
The meal always starts off with an aperitif to get guests to mingle while waiting for everyone to arrive.  The aperitif was refreshing but maybe a bit too sweet for my taste-- I'd prefer more of the kaffir lime taste.  For this meal it was suggested to bring Belgian ales but many guests brought bottles of white and red wine as an accompaniment.

The grape salad was perfectly dressed and I can eat handfuls of those marcona almonds.  But what took my breath away were the delicious Kaffir Kabobs, which tasted very authentic of Southeast Asian cuisine and really reminded me of eating out with my parents to a cheesy asian restaurant in Westminster.  The Curried Mussels with the Garlic Fries were also a delight.  I think Christina and I ended up eating 30+ mussels and a whole loaf of garlic bread.




Curried mussels with garlic bread
Peach crumble with Thai Basil Ice Cream


Ending the meal was the peach crumble, but the crumble was overshadowed by how good the thai basil ice cream was.  I've never had anything like it and it was phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment